Σάββατο 10 Οκτωβρίου 2009

Fast forward

It has been a while since my last post, but I am happy to say that construction is in fast forward since I have moved the boat to Vasiliadis boatyard! In the last month there was progress I admit it would take me another year to make!
As I had already cut the lower hullside panels and the bulkheads for the port hull as well, they were easily coated with epoxy, longitudinal stringers, bunk and deck bearers were glued and port hull was assembled within two weeks. There were some problems with making the keel and bulkhead fillets as the yard's shed is open all around. That means it is exposed to outside temperatures, which at this time of the year were between 27-35C, too hot to work with epoxy in narrow spaces (it was steaming like hot Greek coffee!). As a result we left that task to complete later and went back in the completion of glass reinforcing the starboard keel fillets, cutting the floors and rear bunks of starboard hull, cutting and coating the upper hullside panels for both hulls and many other small tasks.
However, the problem now with all that progress on the project is that I have to make a lot of decisions in a short time! Things like water supply, wiring, configuration of the enclosed- in my Tiki 31- central cockpits, beam throughs, deck configuration etc, were supposed to occupy my mind within the next couple of years. Now I have to decide on all these matters in a few weeks! ( I will post on these decisions later)
Hopefully in the next few weeks we will manage to put the final coats of epoxy to the bilges and the space under the bunks of starboard hull, prime and paint them and glue the floors, bunks and upper hullsides. Keel, stem and stern fillets of port hull will be completed at the same time.


Starboard lower hullside panels coated with epoxy





At last a Wharram catamaran!






Galley floors


Rear bunk


Ex open central cockpit, now enclosed galley..

Stem fillets

10 σχόλια:

tsunamichaser είπε...

How incredibly exciting! I could use some of your 35c weather it is cold, damp and foggy in the Pacific Northwest region.

Manos Amanakis είπε...

Hello Thomas,
It is nice to have warm weather when sailing, but when you are working with epoxy it is another thing...
As I saw on your blog though, you managed to have some great sailing before the cold and rainy days! Very inspiring!

Manos Amanakis είπε...

Hello Thomas,
It is nice to have warm weather when sailing, but when you are working with epoxy it is another thing...
As I saw on your blog though, you managed to have some great sailing before the cold and rainy days! Very inspiring!

Manos Amanakis είπε...

Hello Thomas,
It is nice to have warm weather when sailing, but when you are working with epoxy it is another thing...
As I saw on your blog though, you managed to have some great sailing before the cold and rainy days! Very inspiring!

Héctor είπε...

Manos:
Great work!
I almost built a Tiki 31, but in the last minute I decided to build a Surfsong 27 foot Richard Woods design. I always loved the T31's stylish lines. How do you plan to enclose the cockpits without spoiling this style nor it's seaworthy capabilities?
I always thought that the living space in the T31 was too small and too low, and there should be a way to give a better use to the cockpits' space, but any change (like the people who built "Lookfar"), would give that space spoiling the whole boat's character. Do you have any drawings you could show?
Good luck!
Héctor
http://www.navigare.com.ar

Manos Amanakis είπε...

Hello Hector,
I have visited your site in the past and I have seen photos of the building of your beautiful Woods catamaran!
I also believe that the internal space of the Tiki 31 is too small and as far as internal volume is concerned the best boat for me was the Tiki 30 (since I couldn't afford a Tiki 38...). The truth is however that I liked the scooner rig so much that I finally decided to go for the 31.
Some modifications were essential, since I think that an enclosed toilet is a necessity for a cruising yacht which will from time to time host 6 people on a weekend cruise or 4 people for a week and more.
I don't intend to raise the roof of the central cockpit area above the level of the roof of the forward cabins (like people who build Lookfar did), so as not to increase windage and spoil the lines of the design. I will also try to keep weight as low as possible.
I don't have any drawings that I can post to you, but I think that if you can wait for another month you may see the first hull almost complete!
Best regards,
Manos

Héctor είπε...

Manos: Thanks for your answer. I always thought that the T31 was so much beautiful than the T30, even if the cockpit is somehow enclosed. I made a drawing once, just a rough sketch, that you can see at http://www.navigare.com.ar/graficos/construccion/Plan1d2.JPG .
I agree with Wharram's phylosophy that in a cat that size, it's always more seaworthy to avoid windage as much as possible, even giving up standing headroom. But it would be great to have at least confortable sitting headroom (1,5 m) in the cockpit. Don't you think?
Good luck.

Héctor είπε...
Αυτό το σχόλιο αφαιρέθηκε από τον συντάκτη.
Héctor είπε...

I've done this other sketch also: http://www.navigare.com.ar/graficos/construccion/Plan1d4.JPG
Best regards.

Héctor είπε...

Manos: So long without news about you and your Tiki 31! I'm always hoping to see you are moving on in your project. Have you been able to make any improvement?
Best regards.
Héctor.