Κυριακή 1 Ιουλίου 2007

March until today

The space in my garage is not enough for both hulls, so I decided to assemble the port hull first. All the parts that will be used for the assembly must first be coated in epoxy (at least two layers). The stem and stern posts are made up of four layers of ply laminated. In addition I had to glue and precoat the two softwood parts of the keel and the lower hullside stringers.




Precoating the lower hullside panells.














Epoxy is a viscous material which makes it difficult to achieve a smooth surface. The best way I have found to do this is by using special made foam rollers that enable you to make an even, rather thin coat. After mixing the resin with the hardener I poured the mixture into a roller pan in which I soaked the foam roller, removing the excess epoxy by rolling it. If you pour the resin on the surface in a zig zag pattern, as suggested in the plans, you than have to spread it with a squeege first before you use the roller. As soon as I had finished coating the surface I used a piece cut from a foam roller ( as shown on the last photo) to "tip off" the coating. To do this you have to dragg the foam roller brush lightly over the fresh epoxy in long even strokes so as to remove the "orange peel" effect. It is possible to apply the second coat of epoxy while the first one is still tacky but, as the first coat raises the wood grain you will not end up with a smooth surface. From my experience ( ...I finally had to coat the lower hull side panells three times..) it is best if the first coat is left to cure completely and than apply the second coat after sanding the surface.




Laminating the stem and stern posts









I used nails to keep pieces in place until the glue is cured.




Precoating and joining the two parts of the keel and the hull stringers.

























Gluing and nailing the lower hullside panels with buttblocks.

















Gluing the stringers on the inside face of the lower hullsides.














I decided to open holes at the stern post at the place where it will be drilled for the rudder hinges and fill them with thickened epoxy. This is done to prevent rot of plywood as water could find a way in through the drilled holes for the ropes. This was suggested by Scott Williams at his blogg of the building of his Tiki 26 and I found it a good idea.



















A last thin coat of epoxy is applied at the lower hullsides before assembly.
















































































Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: