Σάββατο, 8 Δεκεμβρίου 2007

Wrestling with bulkheads!

It has been a while since I have sent a post but I didn't have much time lately and the weather in Crete was so bad the last couple of weeks that I didn't manage to achieve any serious progress on the project. As I have mentioned before on this site, my "boatbuilding yard" is not perfectly sheltered and above all, not heated. As a result epoxy work stops as the weather gets colder and heavy rainfall means that I have to cover everything up with tarpaulins because sometimes water finds its way through the concrete walls and floor (This is not exactly the right time for my boat's first contact with water...). I'm considering of buying some kind of a heater though, otherwise my progress during winter time will be minimal.

The major task of these days was to fit the finished bulkheads to the hull sides. This was not an easy job at all! I used a combination of ropes, straps and hand power but I had some problems, mostly at the bow and stern sections where tension is grater. For example when I tried to fit in place bulkhead No1, whose position is very close to the bow, the stitches holding the stem post in place broke. Now I probably have to remove bulkheads 1 and 2 again to refit the stitches or else I should try to use screws but it is doubtful that they can hold the tension. Unfortunatelly I haven't attached hooks on my ceiling so that I can use ropes to support the whole construction, as Thomas Nielsen suggested( I didn't want to drill more holes to the already not water proof roof of my garage). I don't know if that would make it any easier to force the bulkheads in the lower hullsides, but I think it will help a lot in turning the hulls over for the glassing later on so maybe I will do it anyway.

Hopefully, by the time I have managed to install all the bulkheads of the starboard hull the temperature will be heigher, appropriate for my first fillets attempt!